all original budget
Initial post: Address each of the following discussion points using one of the following technology tools to enhance your written response (Smore, Prezi, PowTown, Sliderocket, Present.me, or other presentation software). You may want to perfect your use of the same digital tool used during Week Four, or you might try a different digital tool to expand your skills! Utilizing technology in this discussion will further prepare you for the Final Project in Week Six. If you do not have direct classroom experience, you may respond to these questions based on your own understanding of what occurs in your own children’s school, or a professional or volunteer position you’ve held outside of a school setting.
In Chapter 8, Lopez sends a resounding message: “Assessment is not about you as a teacher; it is about your students” (p.97). He goes on to say that our reason for assessing students should be grounded in our commitment to use the information collected in a way that helps us generate greater success for our students.
- Share your perspective on Lopez’s quote and statement above. Describe how your mindset has changed or been validated.
- Consider the 4 questions Lopez lists under “Defending our Assessment Practices” (p.98). How might you use these questions in your current or anticipated practice? What value might it add to your practice by keeping these questions in mind?
- In what ways have you succeeded/failed to make students your partner in assessment?
In chapter nine, Lopez suggests that for data-driven decisions to be made, school leaders must make data easily accessible as well as openly shared. Consider this as you respond to the discussion.
Initial Post: Address each of the discussion points beginning with a description of any classroom and/or assessment experience you may have. If you do not have direct classroom experience, you may respond to these questions based on your own understanding of what occurs in your own children’s school, or a professional or volunteer position you’ve held outside of a school setting.
- What are the common reasons why staff members keep their data private from each other? In what ways might you break down these barriers?
- For those with classroom and assessment experience, describe how easily accessible, openly shared, and deliberately arranged are your data today?
- For those without such experience, discuss the importance of the 3 pillars of data management and how you intend to apply this to your anticipated practice.
- What will you do to make your system for data management exceptional?
Watch the following videos:
- Rick Wormeli: Formative and Summative Assessment
- TEDxSoCal – Dr. Brian Stecher – Cultivating Thriving Schools
Both videos examine the role of accountability and how they can and do impact our work in schools. Brian Stecher specifically discusses three indicators that drive everything that happens in schools, while Rick Wormeli outlines how different types of knowledge are assessed.
In this assignment, please address the following topics and questions:
- Analyze the roles of assessment and evaluation in school improvement and in measuring educational quality.
- Examine and explain your perspectives on the roles and trends related to assessment in education.
- Evaluate the value of both types of assessment and, specifically, the role you see assessment playing in your classroom.
- Evaluate the roles of both formative and summative assessment in the classroom. How does each form of assessment support learning? In what ways can the teacher use the data from assessments to influence learning in the classroom?
- Review your work from your Week Four Assignment and provide specific details of what you see as the next step in developing an assessment for the Common Core State Standard you identified in the activity you presented.
Please support your claims and assertions with the literature, using the course textbook, the videos, and resources for this week, ss well as at least one other peer-reviewed article from. You must have three to five references total and use in-text citations throughout your paper. Please format your assignment, citations, and references in APA style. This assignment should be four to five pages in length, in addition to title and reference pages. Be sure to also save a copy of your assignment for your Final Project and for future professional development.