- Week6-CaseStudy2-Tsunami.pdf (224.796 KB)
Click the link above to submit your assignment.
Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Case Study 2: How Will Astronomy Archives Survive the Data Tsunami?
Due Week 6 and worth 100 points
Astronomers collect and generate petabytes of data. The volume of data is currently growing at a rate of 0.5 PB per year. The projections indicate that by 2020, more than 60 PB of archived data will be available to astronomers. Read the paper, “How Will Astronomy Archives Survive the Data Tsunami?”, located in Week 6 of the online course shell.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Analyze and assess the performance degradation issues highlighted in the case study.
- Evaluate the archival techniques that are outlined in the study, such as cloud storage. Determine why they are not able to handle the growth of the archived data.
- Evaluate the emerging technologies, such as clustering, discussed in the case study, which could be applied to the data archival problem.
- Evaluate the proposed methods, such as GPUs (Graphics Processing Units), of reducing the potentially huge computational and financial costs resulting from archiving data.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Summarize the different types of data storage technology.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in enterprise architecture.
- Write clearly and concisely about Advanced Computer Architecture topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Click here to view grading rubric.
For Baber Makayla Only