Counseling and Advocacy With Diverse Populations
As this course wraps up, take some time to reflect on what you have learned about culturally competent counseling and social justice advocacy. Reference the multicultural counseling and advocacy competencies from your course text introduced in Unit 1, the unit readings, and the readings throughout the course.
In your post:
· Articulate your role as a counselor in developing cultural self-awareness and discuss your gains in self-awareness as a result of this course. Include one example of a gain in your self-awareness at each of the levels of the tripartite model of personal identity: individual, group, and universal.
· Discuss your role as a counselor in becoming familiar with the characteristics and concerns of diverse populations. Thinking ahead to fieldwork and professional practice, provide an example integrating culturally supported behaviors that promote optimal wellness and growth of the human spirit, mind, and body.
· Describe your role in promoting cultural social justice, advocacy, and conflict resolution, and provide an example of advocacy for a client in your specialization area at the individual, community, and national level.
· Assess your goals with respect to continuing your journey to cultural competence and identify at least three steps you will take in the next year toward achieving these goals.
Respond to the posts of at least two other learners. Your responses should be substantive and contribute to the conversation by asking questions, respectfully debating positions, and presenting supporting literature relevant to the topic. Please review the Faculty Expectations for any other requirements for peer responses.
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
· Reflect on what you have learned about culturally competent counseling and social justice advocacy.
· Articulate one’s role in becoming sensitive to the characteristics and concerns of diverse populations and cultivating self-awareness and cultural competence.
· Describe a plan for continuing the journey to cultural competence.
· Discussion Participation Scoring Guide.