Understanding Codes of Ethics
After reading the assigned material in this unit and carefully reviewing the 2014 ACA Code of Ethics, select three ACA standards that you found stood out. Citing your text and assigned readings, address the following for each standard:
· Identify the standard by the ACA code designation (for example, A.1.a.) and summarize what stood out.
· Explore the importance of the standard with support from the readings. You may find the four philosophical beliefs in Chapter 2 of your Ethical, Legal, and Professional Issues in Counseling text helpful to consider.
· Compare the standards you identified in the ACA code to the ethical standards of your specialization’s professional association (AMHCA Code of Ethics and ASCA Ethical Standards for School Counselors). Note any differences and explain how the more specific association standards help guide counselors in your specialization (Mental Health or School Counseling).
Your discussion should be written in your own words only using quotations (set off with quotation marks) when absolutely necessary to capture specific details. See “Direct Quoting, Paraphrasing, Summarizing,” linked in the Resources, to help you distinguish how these three methods of integrating literature are different.
Respond to the initial discussion posts of two other learners. What reactions do you have to the ideas the learner has presented? Include examples from your own experience to support your perspective, and raise questions to continue the dialogue.
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
· Learn about the ethical codes specific to the counseling profession.
· Learn about the different types of professionals a counselor may work with.
· Determine the proper application of APA formatting requirements.
· Develop communication appropriate for professional counseling settings.
· Discussion Participation Scoring Guide.
· AMHCA Code of Ethics [PDF].
· 2014 ACA Code of Ethics.
· ASCA Ethical Standards for School Counselors [PDF].
· APA Style and Format.
· Direct Quoting, Paraphrasing, Summarizing.