in a Relationship with a Substance Abuser
Nearly everyone probably knows someone who places other people’s health, welfare, and safety before their own. When they do this, they can lose contact with their own needs, desires, and sense of self-worth.
- Please watch the movie When a Man Loves a Woman. It is available from Amazon On-Demand rental for streaming or download and Netflix DVD rental. You may also be able to find the movie at your local public library or video rental store.
- Refer to the characteristics of codependent people as discussed in the assigned weekly readings. Choose three of the characteristics to examine.
- Search the AUO library and include at least one peer-reviewed journal article on treatment for codependence to use for research.
- Based on the character of the husband in the movie When a Man Loves a Woman, your weekly readings and the research article you reviewed, write a 4-5 page paper that addresses the following for each of the three characteristics you picked:
- Explain three codependent characteristics. Explain why you have chosen each particular characteristic. Provide three examples, one for each characteristic, of how those codependent characteristics specifically apply to the husband’s character in the film.
- Evaluate how each codependent characteristic is detrimental to this person’s ability to establish and maintain healthy relationships.
- Analyze how the codependent behavior has evolved within the substance abuse environment.
- Apply what you have learned from the assigned readings and the peer-reviewed article to recommend at least two strategies for breaking codependent behaviors within a substance abuse environment.
Please note that you may locate the movie, When a Man Loves a Woman, on YouTube.