Substance Use Disorders
Read the following two case scenarios:
Initially, Jose used cocaine only on the weekends when he was out with friends. But now he uses it every day, even when alone. Jose spends nearly his entire paycheck on his cocaine use. His wife is threatening to divorce him, and he is close to being fired from his job for underperforming. Yet, he continues to use cocaine.
Steven suffers from Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity disorder. In order to help him focus better at work, Steven’s doctor prescribed Adderall (amphetamine). Initially, Steven noticed an improvement in his concentration at work. After he had been taking Adderall for 6 months, however, recently he is starting to feel his concentration slipping again. He mentioned this to his doctor, and his doctor increased the dosage Steven was taking. He has also noticed that if he forgets to take his medicine, he is very tired, feels depressed, and has trouble sleeping.
Based on your readings, what is your viewpoint regarding Jose’s and Steven’s substance use? Keep the following questions in mind while writing the paper:
- What category of substances do cocaine and amphetamine fall under, and what are the implications of this category on the body? Be sure to give the classification, DEA schedule, and physical effects.
- How is a substance use disorder diagnosed?
After reading “Antidepressant- associated mood-switching and transition from unipolar major depression to bipolar disorder: A review in your course resources”, write a 500500 word article critique addressing the following questions:
1. What did you think of the article?
what interesting questions did the article raise for you?
2. How did the article relate to topics presented in the textbook?
3. What implications does the article have for the field of psychology and for society at large?
4. Should people with bipolar disorder be encouraged to seek treatment, even if they do not desire treatment?
5. Compare and contrast the symptoms and treatments of unipolar depression and bipolar depression.
Prepare this assessment in the APA style.