Beyond the Textbook
|Primary Aim||Student Work/Scores|
|Brief summarization of key points from peer-reviewed literature (6 points)||Introduction (2 points)
· What is the goal of the authors?
· What is the proposed theory?
· What hypotheses will be tested in the study?
Method (2 points)
· Briefly describe each subsection: participants, materials, procedure
· What are the independent, dependent, and control variables
· If your article describes multiple experiments, describe each one in sequence
Results (2 points)
· Briefly summarize the findings. Include the specific inferential tests that were constructed as well as whether the analyses revealed statistically significant effects (i.e. p < .05). Report all statistical findings according to APA style
· How do the authors interpret their findings? Do they believe their hypotheses were supported?
|Discussion of the implications of such research (5 points)||· Why should we care?
· Why does this study impact society, future research, this class, etc.?
|Discussion of gaps or limitations of such work along with recommendations for future work
|· Does the method test the hypothesis?
· Is the recruited sample representative of the intended population?
· Are the employed measures reliable/valid?
· Are the independent and dependent variables clearly defined?
· Are there plausible confounding variables (e.g. bias)? Are there plausible alternative explanations that account for the findings?
· Was a pilot-test necessary? How would it have helped?
· Is the method section described in enough detail that it could easily be replicated by other researchers?
· Are there flaws in the inferential tests employed by the authors?
· Are the conclusions made by the authors substantiated by the evidence? Do the authors over-generalize such conclusions? Are there implications that the authors overlook?
· Are there ethical concerns with this study?
· What questions are left unanswered (specifically those not acknowledged by the authors)?
|· Title page (0.5 point)
· Headings (0.5 point)
· In-text citations (1 points)
· References (2 points)